Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day Fourteen, January 19th, 2010





My friend Joanne has to be the luckiest lady in the world because her awesome mom, Sara, lives with her part of the time and part of the time with her sister. When she is at Joanne's house, she usually has her cobbler apron on and is always cooking something delicious. (That's Sara in the picture, dancing at my daughter's wedding!)Joanne wanted me to come over and take some pictures of her upstairs with my digital camera because her fatherinlaw just moved in and is contemplating moving upstairs and he wanted to see what it looked like. She emailed me at work to see if tonight would be good, and also, said, why don't you come to eat, my mom is cooking sausage and peppers. You didn't have to ask me twice! When I got to Joannes (a long walk across the street!), her mom had everything set up and served me too! She made her delicious sausages with three different colored peppers, baked sweet potatoes, and pasta with butter. She also had a great salad with oil and vinegar (what else) and Italian bread. You know, the kind that is crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside. What a treat! I never knew my grandmothers, they died before I was born. Being at Sara's tonight, I felt like a little girl must feel in her grandmother's kitchen. Great smells, delicious foods, and extra big ladles of love. Thanks Sara~!

1 comment:

raysheldon said...

Sausage and peppers-yuhm! First had them when Mrs. Muscle made them for me! Thought I died and went to heaven. I was thinking about your project while in Sams the other day. You know how everyone who works the checkouts in most retail stores have their name on a nametag? I've heard it said that the greatest sound to a person is the sound of their own name. Well, I made it a point to say hello to the checkout girl in Sams by name. She looked startled--like wondering if she knew me. I tried it again in Walmart (next stop in a whirlwind shopping spree). Initially the same "do I know you?" reaction. Then, a very big, friendly smile. So, following your lead and the expression "happiness is a door that opens out," try calling everyone with a nametag by name--it makes their day and makes you feel good too! I also thought of what to say if they asked: "Do I know you?" I would say "No, but you run the risk of someone calling you by name when you wear a nametag!" Try it--it works!