Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day Fifteen, January 20th, 2010




Wow, I have been looking forward to today! My precious niece and godchild, Katie, and her brother, my amazing nephew, Tommy, drove down to my office to have lunch with me today. Katie lives in South Orange where she is taking her final class for her masters degree. Tommy lives in Illinois with the rest of the Sheldons and was here for the week to visit his sister. I was so touched and honored that they wanted to spend some time with their old aunt!~ We used to spend so much time together when they were little. They lived in Jackson and I saw them every week at church, every Sunday after church for bagels, and several times during the week too. Ten years ago, my brother took a job in Illinois and took all the precious little Sheldons with him too. I think it has to be about two years since I have seen Tommy and last summer for Katie. I was so impressed at how beautiful, sophisticated, mature and grown up they are. What a wonderful lunch, with great conversation. I was just in awe at these amazing adults that just not too long ago were little babies. How did that happen! It was so hard to say goodbye to them after lunch, I miss them so much and love them so dearly. Katie and Tommy thanks for the joy you brought to my day!

1 comment:

raysheldon said...

I am so glad that you guys were able to get together yesterday. I am incredibly proud of both Kaitey and Tom and their brothers Mike and Dan. As I know your do with your wonderful children Stephen and Lauren, I treasure the relationship I have with my children as adults -- an opportunity we unfortunately did not have with our parents. This first came in focus for me a little over 5 years ago when I took my college freshman daughter to dinner at Forno's in Newark and suddenly realized I was having dinner and adult conversation with a young adult who happened to be my daughter! I often meet Tom for lunch during the week, and experience the same sense of joy and satisfaction. MJ and I and Mike and Dan went to dinner Saturday evening and I experienced the same emotions (although I'm not ready to acknowledge that 14 year old, 5’10” Dan is an adult yet!). At various times over the years, I've often felt that there is nothing of significance that I have ever accomplished in my life or contributed to the world. When I feel that way, I need only think of the four awesome gifts from God that are my children, and realize what a great legacy MJ and I have left the world! Thank you for your kind words!